This course aims to provide training to persons wanting to crew any vessel under twenty-four metres of length, to be driven for pleasure, or tow any person for the purpose of water skiing within Maltese territorial waters, 12NM, with no restriction on horsepower.
Course Objectives & Expected Learning Outcomes
- To reach the minimum standards of competence as set by Transport Malta.
- Competent in modules covering basic seamanship.
- Competent in practical safe handling techniques.
- Thorough knowledge on basic coastal navigation
- Thorough knowledge on operating vessels at high speeds
- Knowledge on basic first aid
- Knowledge on basic fire fighting
- Knowledge on launching and recovery of vessels
- Knowledge on how to secure to a buoy
- Knowledge on anchoring
- Knowledge on leaving and coming alongside
- Knowledge on how to deal with a man overboard
Course Enrolment Requirements
As a minimum the participants must:
- Be not less than 18 years of age and applicants must have a clean Police Conduct
Class Limitations: Max 12 participants per class
Price: €150 per participant (Course Only)
Accreditation & Licence: MaritimeMT will issue a Transport Malta approved Completion Certificate on the merit of full attendance. Upon presentation of the Training Centre Completion Certificate, applicants will sit for a TM exam – Oral & Practical – (€40 Exam Fee).
Successful applicants will be awarded a license to drive any mechanically driven small ship equipped with an engine or engines of the combined power of or exceeding 30 HP and for the scope of towing any person for the purpose of water-skiing in the internal and territorial waters of Malta. Fee of €23.29 valid for ten (10) years.