The Security Training for Seafarers with Designated Security Duties course aims to achieve the required standard of competence enabling the participants to contribute to the enhancement of maritime security through heightened awareness and the ability to recognize security threats and to respond appropriately. Those who successfully complete this course should be able to undertake security duties in connection with a Ship Security Plan to enhance ship security in accordance with the requirements of Chapter XI-2 of SOLAS 74 as amended, the ISPS Code and section A-VI/6-2 of the STCW Code.
There are no pre-requisites for this training.
The Class Size is limited to 12 persons.
This course will be delivered by experienced lecturers at MaritimeMT.
MaritimeMT will issue Transport Malta approved Certificates on the merit of full attendance & pass final assessments.
The aims of the course is to demonstrate sufficient knowledge to undertake the duties assigned under the SSP. This knowledge shall include, but is not limited to:
- Knowledge of current security threats and patterns;
- Recognition and detection of weapons, dangerous substances and devices;
- Recognition, on a non-discriminatory basis, of characteristics and behavioral patterns of persons who are likely to threaten security;
- Techniques used to circumvent security measures;
- Crowd management and control techniques;
- Security related communication
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and contingency plans;
- Operation of security equipment and systems;
- Testing, calibration and at-sea maintenance of security equipment and systems;
- Inspection, control and monitoring techniques; and
- Methods of physical searches of persons, personal effects, baggage, cargo and ship stores